CAPM Certification FAQs
- What is the CAPM Certification Examination?
- What are the education or work experience requirements needed?
- What is the cost of the CAPM exam?
- How many hours of study time are necessary to pass the exam?
- What study materials are needed to prepare for the exam?
- How many questions are asked in the CAPM Exam?
- How can candidates apply to sit for the exam?
- How long does it take for PMI to process the exam application?
- How do candidates schedule time to sit for the exam?
- What if a candidate has to cancel after scheduling the exam?
- What if candidates do not pass the exam?
- What if I need to retake the CAPM Certification Preparation class?
- What is the cost to retake the CAPM exam?
- What is the 100% CAPM Certification Exam Pass Guarantee?
1. What is the CAPM Certification Examination?
The CAPM examination is comprised of 150 mutually-exclusive, four-option, multiple-choice questions. The exam is designed to test for an understanding of how to apply project management practices to achieve project objectives.
2. What are the education or work experience requirements needed?
Candidates must complete the verification section of the online application to apply to take the CAPM Exam. Please see our article covering the full capm requirements.
- Secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree or the global equivalent)
- 23 hours of project management education completed by the time you sit for the exam
- 1500 hrs of experience
3. What is the cost of the CAPM exam?
Cost for PMI members is $225.
Cost for nonmembers is $300.
The cost for PMI membership is $129/year, plus a $10 application fee. Membership in a local PMI chapter is an additional fee which varies by chapter. Check the PMI website, www.pmi.org, for the chapter fees.
4. How many hours of study time are necessary to pass the exam?
The exact amount of time varies depending on individual learning styles and comfort level. Generally students should expect to spend around 20-40 hours studying in addition to the time spent in the classroom.
5. What study materials are needed to prepare for the exam?
We provide complete course materials to our CAPM Certification Preparation students. Besides hundreds of pages of useful information, study aids, and references, students in our classes also receive a 90-day subscription to our online simulation of the CAPM exam with over 500 practice test questions. Students are encouraged
to purchase the current edition of A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge®, available at the PMI Bookstore or other retailers. PMI Members have access to a free e-copy of the PMBOK® Guide online that may be downloaded and printed. (Note that the entire document is over 600 pages.)
Sample exam questions and suggested reading are also available on the PMI web site.
6. How many questions are asked in the CAPM exam?
The CAPM examination is comprised of 150 mutually-exclusive, four-option, multiple-choice questions.
7. How can candidates apply to sit for the exam?
Candidates must complete an application. Candidates are encouraged to apply online at pmi.org. Once started, the application may not be cancelled but may be saved unfinished. It will remain open for 90 days.
8. How long does it take for PMI to process the application?
Online applications are typically processed within five business days. Individual applications submitted by mail take approximately 10 business days. Corporate applications submitted by mail take 20 business days.
Once the application and fee have been processed, PMI will electronically send the Examination Scheduling Instructions, confirming that the applicant is eligible to take the exam.
Eligibility is good for one year from the day that the application was approved. The exam may be taken three times within the eligibility period should applicants not pass on the first attempt.
11. How do candidates schedule time to sit for the exam?
Once eligible to take the exam, the examination scheduling instructions received from PMI will instruct the applicant to contact PearsonVUE to select a date and location for taking the exam. The PMP exam is a computer-based exam and may be scheduled by applicants at any time available at any of the Prometric sites.
Information about site locations and scheduling may be found at PearsonVUE’s website. Select the “Professional Licensure and Certification” for test type and “Project Management Institute” for testing program.
12. What if a candidate has to cancel after scheduling the exam?
You may reschedule or cancel your exam if done at least two full days prior to your exam date. However, canceling or rescheduling the exam within 30 days of a scheduled exam date will incur a rescheduling fee. Be sure to confirm the cancellation/rescheduling guidelines with Prometric when scheduling the exam.
13. What if candidates do not pass the exam?
Candidates who do not pass the exam may retake the exam two more times for a total of three times within one year of application approval. If candidates are not able to pass the CAPM certification exam within their one-year eligibility period, they must wait one year from the date of the last attempt to reapply for the CAPM credential. Applicants who chose to apply for a different PMI credential, such as the PMI-ACP, may do so at any time.
14. What if I need to retake the CAPM Certification Preparation class?
We are committed to helping you pass the CAPM Certification exam the first time. If you take one of our public CAPM Certification Prep classes and don’t pass the exam, or if you were unable to take the exam after attending a class for some reason and need to retake the class as a refresher, you may register for an upcoming public CAPM Certification Prep class free of charge. If you wish to take the class again because you did not pas the exam, we will first review your exam results and to to determine if tutoring is a better option for you.
Students retaking the class must bring their original course materials. If you have lost your course materials, or if the course version has changed since you last took the class, you can purchase new course materials for only $150.
15. What is the cost to retake the exam?
Cost for PMI members, $150. Cost for nonmembers, $200.
16. What is the 100% Guarantee To Pass?
If you follow our instructions, and attend all days of class, We Guarantee you will pass your exam. Simple, straightforward, no hoops to jump through. If you fail the exam 3 times, we will refund your tuition.